Parts counting is a critical function in many industrial settings. Counting scales are used in manufacturing, inventory and warehousing, distribution, assembly and production, supply chain, retail and wholesale, and even food service.
There are many ways to count items, but counting scales offer the best combination of accuracy, ease of setup, and cost. Counting Scales use the weight of a sample of parts to create an Average Piece Weight (APW)—the scale shows the count of the pieces on the pan by dividing the weight by the APW in memory.
Choosing the Right Counting Scale
The main driver for precision in a counting scale is the weighing technology used. OHAUS scales provide accurate counts through quality components, stable software, and high precision loadcells. In industrial settings, durability is also an important consideration. OHAUS counting scales are built to last, even when used in harsh work environments.
OHAUS counting scales offer advanced features like APW optimization, low APW alerts, internal counting resolution, libraries to allow for easy switching between multiple items, and keypads for box (tare) weights entry and preset APW. Available accessories like barcode scanners and label printers can support your operations and help increase efficiency.
APW optimization allows you to start with a sample of 10 and then add several batches of pieces, one at a time, until you reach 100 pieces - with less chance for error when hand counting. APW alerts warn the user when a sample is too light to accurate.
OHAUS offers a wide range of counting scales to meet your needs. Choosing the right one depends on a number of factors, including maximum capacity, minimum APW, portability, and connectivity. A great resource for helping your find the right model is the OHAUS Counting Guide
Scales That Count
OHAUS counting scales are specifically designed to count the number of parts in a container based on average piece weight. For accurate counting, OHAUS offers bench scales like the top-of-the-line Ranger® 7000
. For bulk counting, they can be connected to a second platform.
After connecting Ranger 7000, set up capacity and readability of the second scale and select counting mode. Place container on platform and tare it. Place 100 pieces in the container to start sampling and determine APW.
Ranger 7000 is the most precise scale in its class and it offers the best of every ingenious feature that make OHAUS industrial products the right tools for your most demanding weighing jobs. Ranger 7000 is designed to handle complex industrial applications with a variety of special features:
- Advanced counting software to increase the accuracy of part average piece weights (APWs) and the ability to store up to 2,000 items in the library.
- One-second stabilization time and internal counting resolutions up to 1:7,000,000.
- Large, 4.3-inch color graphic display that clearly shows counts to the operator. The display changes color in check counting mode to simplify filling packages by count.
- Dynamic keypad that can be used to recall parts by ID number, enter tare and APW weights. SoftKeys work with the display to guide usage and all keys can be locked-out to minimize operator key errors.
- Durable cast aluminum housings that hold up to daily industrial use.
- The ability to support both barcode readers and barcode/label printers for enhanced parts management.
Compact Counting Scales
For a counting scale that offers reliably accurate and quick results, the multi-purpose Ranger® Count 3000
is an excellent choice. This portable model is equipped with a rechargeable battery, making it easy to move it around a factory or warehouse. The versatile Ranger Count 3000 supports many industrial applications, including parts counting and check counting.
Ranger Count 3000 is packed with special features to ensure accuracy, ease of use, and convenience, including:
Ranger® Count 4000
- Precise counting performance with 1:1,500,000 internal counting resolution and auto-optimization software that reduces errors.
- 30-item library for fast recall of APW and package weights for up to 30 items.
- A centrally-located count display and dedicated Sample and Tare keys for easy use.
- Durable ABS housing and rechargeable battery.
counting scales offer all the features and portability of the 3000, but with die-cast metal housing to withstand heavy-duty use in toughest industrial weighing conditions.
HAUS Defender® 5000
series of bench scales feature the same counting capabilities as the Ranger 7000 but are equipped to handle weighing and counting heavier items or containers with larger parts quantities. A wide range of base sizes and capacities are available to meet business needs.
Defender Bench Scales feature a simple, yet rugged base design and indicators with tactile keys, a high-resolution backlit dot matrix display, 50,000-item library function, rechargeable battery (available accessory) and flexible mounting capabilities. Multiple connectivity options are available and a variety of available accessories make the Defender Bench Scales even more versatile.
For more information about balances and scales for inventory control, contact your regional OHAUS representative.